Arrow Light

I fell in love with this DYI project I found over at Lovely Indeed. I was totally blown away with how beautifully the project was explained and photographed. But, rather than trying to recreate it, I’ve decided to re-interpret it using tools and techniques that I know: paper maché and cardboard! So I’ll build it through the week and hopefully will get in done in a short amount of time.

We’re close enough to Christmas, such that it was easy to find an LED light set, and I actually began building the structure last night, during my weekly Paper Maché Workshop. I will post updates here as the project moves along!

Me enamoré de este proyecto que encontré en un sitio web llamado Lovely Indeed. La manera en que está detallado y fotografiado es verdaderamente inspirante. Pero, en vez de recrearlo tal cual, he decidido interpretarlo a mi manera, usando técnicas y materiales que conozco mejor: ¡papel maché y cartón! Por ello, lo voy a crear durante la semana y espero terminarlo en pocos días.

La navidad ya se acerca, de tal manera que fué fácil encontrar un juego de luces LED y comenzé a armar la estructura anoche, durante mi Taller de Papel Maché semanal. Subiré las actualizaciones del proyecto conforme lo vaya completando.

1. Cardboard Frame | Marco de Cartón

[pictureframe image=”https://paco-ojeda.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/step-01.jpg” align=”center” lightbox=”true” title=”” link=”” width=”580″ height=””]

First off, creating the cardboard frame with sides wide enough to allow for the metal sides (front) and hiding the extension cords (back).

Primero, la flecha de cartón, con paredes altas para los lados metálicos (al frente) y para esconder el cableado (atrás).

2. Rear Support | Soporte Trasero

[pictureframe image=”https://paco-ojeda.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/step-02.jpg” align=”center” lightbox=”true” title=”” link=”” width=”580″ height=””]

For support, I made a mount by sandwiching cardboard layers, and throwing in a layer of flat, wooden popsicle sticks before the final cardboard layer, for additional strength.

Para el soporte, encimé varios pedazos de cartón con una capa de palos de madera planos antes de la última capa de cartón, para darle un refuerzo adicional.

3. Priming | Sellado

[pictureframe image=”https://paco-ojeda.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/step-03.jpg” align=”center” lightbox=”true” title=”” link=”” width=”580″ height=””]

Rear support is in place; rear is primed with gesso, ready to go.

El soporte trasero está en su lugar; la parte de atrás pintada con gesso y lista.

4. Painting and Tin Foil | Pintado y Aluminio

[pictureframe image=”https://paco-ojeda.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/step-04.jpg” align=”center” lightbox=”true” title=”” link=”” width=”580″ height=””]

After painting the inside orange and aging the paint a bit with acrylic medium, it was time to re-create the metal sides. I used tin foil sheets.

Después de pintarla de naranja y darle un toque rústico, llegó el momento de recrear las paredes metálicas. Utilicé hojas de papel aluminio.

5. Burnishing | Repujado

[pictureframe image=”https://paco-ojeda.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/step-05.jpg” align=”center” lightbox=”true” title=”” link=”” width=”580″ height=””]

I used white glue to carefully attach pieces of slightly-wrinkled tin foil to the piece. Then, using a damp rag, I pressed against the foil to create a texture with the wrinkles.

Coloqué el papel aluminio usando resistol. Después, con un trapo húmedo, lo froté para asegurar el mejor contacto posible y crear textura de las arrugas del papel.

6. Antiquing and Sealing | Acabado Rústico y Sellado

[pictureframe image=”https://paco-ojeda.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/step-06.jpg” align=”center” lightbox=”true” title=”” link=”” width=”580″ height=””]

I antiqued the tin foil with black paint and acrylic medium. Anticipating that this coat would be fragile (it was!) I used glossy spray to seal and protect, followed by two coats of brushed glossy acrylic.

Le di un toque antiguo al aluminio con pintura negra y medio acrílico. Anticipando que esta capa sería frágil, usé spray brillante para sellarla, seguido de dos capas de barniz acrílico con brocha.

7. Wiring and Finishing | Alambrado y Acabado

[pictureframe image=”https://paco-ojeda.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/step-07.jpg” align=”center” lightbox=”true” title=”” link=”” width=”580″ height=””]

OK, so I skipped a few steps. I decoupaged antique letters that say aquí es!, meaning, “here’s where it’s at.” Then, using a bookbinding paper drill, I punched holes for LED christmas lights to be installed from behind.

OK, me brinqué unos pasitos. Le pegué las letras antiguas y luego, con un taladro manual de encuadernado, hice agujeros en la flecha para colocar, por la parte de atrás, una extensión navideña de LEDs.

8. Finished Arrow | Flecha Terminada

[pictureframe image=”https://paco-ojeda.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/step-08.jpg” align=”center” lightbox=”true” title=”” link=”” width=”580″ height=””]

The arrow hanging above my TV set in the living room. Time for a new project!

La flecha cuelga sobre mi TV en la sala. ¡Es hora de comenzar un nuevo proyecto!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s